Ty Wigginton Trade Options: Philadelphia Phillies

[smartads]

A guest post by Paul Boye, writer for Phillies Nation. You can see more of his work here.

Hi there, Baltimore. I’m writing to you today from Phillies-land, where what was once a golden age of prosperity and success has quickly faded into a rather awful two-month stretch that has seen the Phillies drop to third in their division.

I’m hardly one to complain to your fan base, though, and I’m not about to cry woe and ask for sympathy. Instead, I think we have an opportunity here to help one another out.

You might have heard that we’ll be missing half of our starting infield for at least a month, and with Chase Utley set to miss closer to two months, we may be in need of some infield help.

Rumor has it, you have this Ty Wigginton fellow that impressed so many people earlier this season, and another rumor has it that Philly brass is looking into acquiring Wiggy. While I’m not totally convinced this would be the right move right now, it does seem to make some sense. We have a need, you have the supply.

Say a deal becomes more likely, talks escalate, and a swap eventually happens. Who would you get in return? Wigginton wouldn’t fetch any of the top tier talents in the Philly system – Domonic Brown, Jarred Cosart or Jon Singleton – the return could still be intriguing. Here are a couple of players that could be discussed in a potential swap.

Jiwan James, CF (21)

Still a bit raw, James has tools to be a good ML regular with a good glove and quickness. At 6’4″, 180 lbs., his body has some room to fill out, but he’s not expected develop anything past gap power.

Jonathan Villar, SS (19)

A teammate of James’s, Villar is a free swinger that profiles similarly to James but with better speed and glove. He’d likely be the top talent dealt.

Matthew Way, SP (23)

He’s a bit old for High-A, so take his 81:26 K-to-BB in 86.1 IP ratio with a grain of salt. He does still have some projectability left, though.

Quintin Berry, CF (25)

He’s got a good eye (33 BB to 47 K in 222 at-bats in AA), but is only batting .207 and slugging .284, so he’s likely not an appetizing piece for Baltimore at this point. At one time, he was pegged as a potential regular, but has seen his production fall off in recent years.

Vance Worley, SP (22)

Worley is an interesting case. Doesn’t have overwhelming K numbers, yet doesn’t get a high number of ground balls while managing to keep his ERA respectable (3.71 through 16 starts in a repeat of AA, improving on a 5.34 mark in 2009). He doesn’t give up many home runs, though, and his walk rates were excellent prior to jumping above three per nine here in 2010. I see him as a roll of the dice, but a flexible guy who could plug a hole in the front end of a ‘pen or back end of a rotation.

Not the most glamorous of lists, I know, but it’s the quality likely expected to be tossed about in trade discussions for Wigginton. The Phillies do have some interesting pieces beyond the Browns and Cosarts – if not in immediate impact, then in projectability – which MacPhail and Co. could find agreeable.

For the time being, it seems the Phillies are content to work with some bizarre carousel of Valdez, Castro, Ransom and Dobbs at second and third in Polanco and Utley’s absences. Should anything else happen or a change of heart occur, rest assured that Ruben Amaro, Jr. will come a-calling.

About The Author

- Founder and Executive Editor

Jordan founded Orioles-Nation.com in November 2009. He is a computer science & business major at Towson University. He is the site programmer, designer, editor and primary minor league writer. He also contributes to and maintains the site’s prospect rankings and scouting reports. Jordan's work has been recognized in a number of publications including MASN, The Baltimore Sun, MLB Trade Rumors, FanGraphs and Project Prospect. In addition, Jordan is a special contributor to John Sickels’ (formerly of ESPN.com) blog, Minor League Ball. Read more about Jordan at JordanTuwiner.com and follow him on Google+ and on Twitter @JordanTuwiner.

1. wiestlingjr
    wiestlingjr July 5, 2010 at 9:34 am |

I don’t think we should trade wiggy. We won’t get anything in return

Jordan July 5, 2010 at 10:40 am |

One would think that, but look what happened with Sherrill last season.

2. gregemb
    gregemb July 5, 2010 at 9:58 am |

Nice read. I think the O’s primary need would be infield help in any trade possibilities. Agree?

Jordan July 5, 2010 at 10:40 am |

Agreed. I heard the Orioles will only accept a SS prospect in return.

3. MillenniumOS
    MillenniumOS July 5, 2010 at 9:59 am |

Really liked the article. Would Philly actually give up someone like Villar?

Jordan July 5, 2010 at 10:41 am |

I think so. Their farm system has seen its stock rise a lot, with impressive seasons from Jared Cosart, Dominic Brown and Jonathan Singleton.

1. MillenniumOS
        MillenniumOS July 5, 2010 at 10:44 am |

What does Villar project out to? Starter in MLB? Comparisons to any current guys? Too early to tell?

Jordan July 5, 2010 at 10:51 am |

Definitely a starter if he reaches his potential. He’s comparable to Rafael Furcal, maybe? He has solid tools across the board, besides power.

4. Tim
    Tim July 5, 2010 at 11:11 am |

Although a bit old, as the writer states, I like Way, and as the old saying goes, you can never have too much pitching. I have seen James and Villar several times and although I like James, I just don’t see us looking to acquire CF with Angle, Avery and Bumbry already in the system. I’d like to see us focus on a position with someone with some pop in the bat. If Paul is watching the follow ups on this, I was wondering if he could tell me what happended to Travis Mattair? Thanks. Good article.

1. Paul Boye
      Paul Boye July 5, 2010 at 3:17 pm |

Hi Tim,

JT directed me to your question, and what I can tell you is that Mattair has left the organization for personal reasons. I’ve no idea what those reasons are, be they health, family or legally related. He’s welcome back if he wants to continue his career, but as of right now he is out of baseball.

Don July 5, 2010 at 7:45 pm |

It starts and ends with Jonathan Singleton. I would simply do a 2-1 with a fringe tailer C- level prospect, if it includes Singleton. I want to note that he is so young that the Phillies could not balk for a major league prospect. He can flat out hit the cover off the ball. It does not mean that he will turn into a Ryan Howard clone, but 18 and .350 in the Sally is something encouraging to see. Singleton is also blocked by Howard as he is not going anywhere in the next 5-7 years.

Don July 5, 2010 at 7:50 pm |

Plus…I do not agree with the assessment that Singleton is off the table for anyone. He is 18 and low A ball. In my mind, he is still a C+ prospect that did not hit for power last year. One season does not turn him into an un-touchable player these days.

This is a team that took garbage for Cliff Lee. Phillippe Aumont, are you kidding me Singleton is off the table. They traded a Cy Young winner for a future long relief pitcher. The writer is off the rocker thinking that any player outside of Brown could be had with Ty Wiggington or Miguel Tejada in return.

Jordan July 5, 2010 at 8:09 pm |

Agreed. I think the Phillies know they have a good shot any winning this season, and they will make the necessary moves. I think it happens to any person who likes their own team’s prospects. You always overvalue your own prospects.

2. Paul Boye
      Paul Boye July 8, 2010 at 5:59 pm |

Forgive me for being a little tardy on this reply, but I’m guessing the way I phrased things, with Singleton being included in a group of our upper-tier prospects, was a little ambiguous. I don’t think the Phillies (or myself) value Singleton on the same level as Brown. Rather, we find him intriguing enough not to want to deal him this year, especially for a stopgap IF bat.

7. Adam
    Adam July 12, 2010 at 1:49 am |

How come Corey Patterson isn’t getting more trade buzz? He is putting together a solid season.