1. NYOrioleFan
    NYOrioleFan June 27, 2010 at 11:12 pm |

I noticed that Caleb Joseph played LF tonight. With Nery (0-2 at AA) making his second AA start, I would think it would be important for him to have the best catcher available to help him with this transition.

With a backup catcher starting, a throwing error on a double steal in the 1st inning contributed to 2 unearned runs right from the start.

Any thoughts on why Joseph’s start at a different position would override the need to have him behind the plate for Nery?

Jordan June 27, 2010 at 11:18 pm |

Thanks for pointing that out, definitely something that will be included in tomorrow’s “News and Notes” post.

Nery is on the older side (24), so working with a backup catcher is something he should be able to handle. I would definitely find it weird if the backup catcher was starting when Hobgood was making his 2nd start, or any other younger pitcher. But for an older player who has spent a lot of time in the minors, I think it’s fine.

As for Joseph, they need to find some more at-bats for him, because his bat would play nicely in LF. Getting into the lineup at a different position also keeps him from getting beat up from behind the plate and helps his legs stay fresh.

1. NYOrioleFan
        NYOrioleFan June 28, 2010 at 11:32 pm |

Via Camden Chat, here is an article from the Beaver County Times on Nate Nery and his promotion to AA:

“The biggest thing I learned in my first start is the strike zone is a lot smaller at this level,” Nery said. “You have more veteran hitters in Double-A and they don’t chase nearly as many pitches out of the strike zone. You’ve got to pound the strike zone and that plays to my strengths because not walking people is a big part of my game.”

Even though, he had a rough outing last night, he did only walk 1 batter — his only BB in the two outings.

It seems that Nery had a tough time of it at the beginning of the year at Frederick, before he settled down and had 6 quality starts in his last 7 starts. Hopefully, he will show similar improvement at Bowie.

2. Charles Brown
    Charles Brown June 28, 2010 at 5:36 am |

Mahoney is hitting! He had a hot start last season with a second half nosedive. If he can repeat the second half, he could be a top 3 hitting prospect for the O’s!?

Jordan June 28, 2010 at 8:30 am |

Definitely, he’s showing the ability to hit for average, with power. I’d like to see him cut down the strikeouts a bit, and take a few more walks. But he is definitely emerging as a true 1B prospect.

3. Doug Gray
    Doug Gray June 28, 2010 at 3:26 pm |

Jordan,
    Hit me up on aim sometime. I have a few design questions for you…. really like what you have done with the layout.

Jordan June 28, 2010 at 3:40 pm |

Thanks! Will do.

4. NYOrioleFan
    NYOrioleFan June 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm |

By the way, any news on when Matt Hobgood will be making his next start. His last start was 6/11/10. The team mentioned that he had slight shoulder soreness and would be back in the rotation right after last week’s All-Star break.

Also, any news on Cameron Coffey. He had an MRA done on 6/17/10. Following that test, the O’s were going to decide his status for the rest of the year.

Jordan June 29, 2010 at 12:23 am |

I believe it’s sometime next week, but could be sooner. Coffey should be with Bluefield sometime in July, they found no structural damage.

1. NYOrioleFan
        NYOrioleFan July 1, 2010 at 11:06 pm |

Matt Hobgood is scheduled to pitch at Delmarva on Monday evening vs Hickory. He will have a limited pitch count and/or innings limit.