1. David
    David April 20, 2010 at 10:35 am |

I think the Pirates will probably take McGuire. They tend to go with safer picks, and they really need a starter who could contribute quickly. I think we should probably take Pomeranz or, if the Pirates don’t take McGuire, McGuire.

Jordan April 20, 2010 at 4:22 pm |

Yeah, I’d like to see them take McGuire or Pomeranz, that gives us a choice of Taillon or Mcguire/Pomeranz. I’d be happy most happy with Pomeranz.

2. Matt In Chicago
    Matt In Chicago April 20, 2010 at 5:58 pm |

don’t forget manny machado. k. law has him listed as the #2 talent in this year’s draft.

Jordan April 20, 2010 at 6:03 pm |

Definitely, he’s a special talent. I just want to keep the list short and I was going off Seiler’s rankings. Law is the one guy who is really excited about Machado, most aren’t that high on him.

3. benfarwell11
    benfarwell11 April 20, 2010 at 8:59 pm |

I personally like taillon because he is a power arm that could really help. Maybe a verlander type? I don’t know much about mcguire or pomeranz. What’s the word on them?

Jordan April 20, 2010 at 10:10 pm |

I’m a big Taillon fan, love his fastball and two plus breaking pitches. I’ll have more on those two pitchers in the series that starts tomorrow, with Bryce Harper. I haven’t looked in depth at Pomeranz yet, but I know a lot about McGuire. His fastball sits in the low 90′s and his slider is a plus breaking pitch. His changeup is about average, sometimes above-average. He has solid command/control and he’s one of the safer pitchers of this draft class.

Most of my draft/college/highschool baseball knowledge is from reading mlbbonusbaby.com. Some of the best scouting and draft content out there.

4. Charles Brown
    Charles Brown April 21, 2010 at 2:02 pm |

Some MLB comparisons
    Taillon=Beckett (it’s a Texas thing))
    Drew Pomeranz, LHP, Ole Miss=Matszu/Hammels
    Deck McGuire, RHP, Georgia Tech=Lackey (maybe?)
    Anthony Ranaudo, RHP, LSU Chris Young (maybe?)

Jordan April 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm |

All seem like good comps, I don’t think McGuire will be quite as good as Lackey. I like the Matusz Hammels comp, Matusz definitely reminds me of Hammels.

1. Charles Brown
        Charles Brown April 21, 2010 at 9:03 pm |

The ? were an expression of doubt, I don’t see the ceiling that high on McGuire or Ranaudo.

Jordan April 21, 2010 at 9:06 pm |

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. From what I’ve been reading, Ranaudo does have legitimate ace potential. He was a candidate for the #1 pick before he went down with an injury.