1. Philly O's
    Philly O's April 16, 2010 at 7:36 am |

Jordan –
    Not sure why you have Matusz up there as Hitter Pitcher of the week – prospect status? But if you were to stick to the minors I would think Jake Arrieta may be deserving of it. He did allow 6BB to the 7K’s but none came back to haunt him as he didn’t allow a run in 12 innings over his first 2 starts. I also like Steve Johnson as well and Zach Britton isn’t to far their heels. I am sure you can get more technical to make that call but I thought I would give those kids a shout out. With the greatness that is Oriole Baseball, I have been paying a lot of attention to the minors this year so thanks for the updates.

Jordan April 16, 2010 at 10:30 am |

Whoops, missed that. I copied and pasted from Avery so “hitter” accidentally came over. Matusz is still a prospect because he still has rookie of the year eligibility, which is less than 50 IP. He pitched 44.1 innings last year, I believe. When he hits 50 innings this season, he’ll no longer be considered a “prospect”.

I was considering Arrieta, Johnson and Britton but decided on Matusz. Arrieta walked a more guys than I’d like to see. It was really a toss up between Britton, Johnson and Matusz but I went with Matusz because he is in the majors.

I have some video of Johnson that should be posted soon, so you may be interested in that. No problem for the updates. The reason I enjoy the minors is because it doesn’t matter if they win or lose, and there are always exciting stories, no matter what.

1. Philly O's
        Philly O's April 16, 2010 at 11:01 am |

That is what I thought but I figured I would ask. Until those 50 innings are reached I guess Arrieta, Johnson, and Britton will have to wait! On a side note – What is the word with Brandon Waring? I guess he changed positions this year, 1B to 3B? Was this due to a log jam? I read previously that he may have more potential than Snyder as a first baseman but how does the position change affect this? Between Bell/Snyder/Waring – they all seem to be struggling out of the gate.

Jordan April 16, 2010 at 11:14 am |

Yeah, the pitching is going to be phenomenal the whole season, 2 nights ago, all 4 starts had scoreless outings.

Waring will play some 3B and 1B this season, but they’ll try to keep him at 3B for as long as possible. I do think he ends up at 1B/DH. If Waring can cut his strikeout rate a little bit more, I like him more than Snyder. A lot of people compare him to Adam Dunn but he doesn’t walk quite that much.

If he shortens his swing, cuts the strikeouts and improves his walk rate, he’ll shoot up prospect lists. He’s 24 now, I believe, so he only has a few more seasons to make these adjustments.

I’m upset with Bell, he has 8 strikeouts and no walks? A lot of people believe that his prospect status rocketed when he came to the Orioles, if he plays like this those people will be right.

1. DoubleB
            DoubleB April 16, 2010 at 11:21 am |

What are bell’s splits so far? (L/R)

Jordan April 16, 2010 at 8:47 pm |

0 for 3 against lefties and 6 for 25 against righties.