Durham 3, Norfolk 2 – Box Score
- Scott Moore went 3 for 4 with a home run, 2B, 2 runs and a strikeout.
- Brandon Snyder went 0 for 4 with a strikeout.
- Josh Bell went 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts.
- Troy Patton pitched 5.1 innings, allowing just 2 hit and 3 runs (2 ER). He walked 3 batters and struck out 5.
Analysis: Scott Moore’s now batting .333 on the season, he’d be a nice 3B option for the Orioles if Tejada goes down. Especially if they don’t want to bring Bell up. Patton opened the season with a solid outing, which is good considering his struggles at Norfolk last season. You have to love the strikeouts, but the 3-7 ground out to fly out ratio isn’t something you’d like to see.
Richmond 1, Bowie 4 – Box Score
- Robbie Widlansky went 2 for 4 with an RBI.
- Tyler Henson went 1 for 4 with a home run and a strikeout.
- Ryohei Tanaka pitched 6 shutout innings, allowing 5 hits. He struck out 5 batters and walked none.
- Eddie Gamboa pitched one scoreless inning.
Analysis: Robbie Widlansky is off to a hot start, can he establish himself as a true first base prospect? Tanaka isn’t receiving much attention but he could be up with the Orioles in a relief role soon.
Frederick 4, Lynchburg 1 – Box Score
- Xavier Avery went 1 for 3 with a run, a strikeout and 2 walks.
- Kyle Hudson went 0 for 3 with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts.
- L.J. Hoes went 2 for 5 with a run, a double, 2 RBI, a SB and a strikeout.
- Cole McCurry pitched 4 innings, allowing 4 hits and 1 run. He walked 2 batters and struck out 7.
Analysis: Avery continues to rack up the walks, which is a very good sign. I’ll have some cool Xavier Avery stats in the “News and Notes” tomorrow.
Delmarva 9, Greenville 3 – Box Score
- Tyler Kelly went 2 for 5 with 2 runs, a 2B, a home run, 5 RBI, 1 strikeout and a walk.
- Michael Ohlman went 0 for 2 with a strikeout.
- Justin Dalles went 1 for 3 with an RBI and a strikeout.
- Steve Bumbry went 2 for 5 with 2 runs, a 2B and 2 strikeouts.
- Jesse Beal pitched 5 scoreless innings, allowing 5 hits. He struck out 5 batters.
Analysis: A lot of people questioned the Orioles’ pick of Bumbry, but he’s played well so far. Beal is the first Shorebird starter to pick up a win. Jesse Beal does not walk batters, and if he can bump his strikeout rate up he could be special. Keep your eye on him.
Game previews for tomorrow:
|Norfolk Tides||Charlotte Knights||Home||7:15 PM||Brandon Erbe|
|Bowie Baysox||Harrisburg Senators||Home||2:05 PM||Tim Basom|
|Delmarva Shorebirds||Greensboro Grasshoppers||Away||7:00 PM||Tony Butler|