Durham 4, Norfolk 6 – Box Score
- Brandon Snyder went 0 for 3 with a walk, a strikeout and 2 RBI.
- Josh Bell went 0 for 4 with a strikeout.
- Lou Montanez went 3 for 3 with 2 runs, a triple, a walk, a strikeout and 2 RBI.
- Jake Arrieta pitched 5 innings, allowing 3 hits and no ER. He walked 4 batters and struck out 2.
Analysis: Brandon Snyder and Josh Bell have struggled in the first two games of the season. Snyder needs to prove he can handle Triple-A, after struggling there already in 2009. I don’t like the 4 walks from Arrieta, my main concern with him is command/control. He clearly has the stuff to strike guys out but he needs to stop with the free passes.
Richmond 4, Bowie 6 (Game resumed from 4/8/10) – Box Score
- Zach Britton pitched 4.1 innings, allowing just 3 hits. He struck out 3 batters.
- Brandon Waring went 3 for 5 with a run and an RBI.
- Caleb Joseph went 1 for 1 with 2 RBI, a run and 2 walks.
- Robert Widlansky went 2 for 4 with a run and a strikeout.
- Ryan Adams went 2 for 4 with a 2B and an RBI.
- Pedro Flroimon Jr. went o for 4.
- Tyler Henson went 1 for 3 with a 2B, an RBI and a walk.
Analysis: You can see some of the analysis from yesterday here. Most of the Bowie prospects got their season off to a great start.
Richmond 2, Bowie 0 – Box Score
- Steve Johnson pitched 5 strong innings, allowing 5 hits and no runs. He walked 2 batters and struck out 6.
Analysis: I was at the game. Johnson’s fastball sat in the high 80′s and his breaking ball looked like a plus pitch. Clayton Tanner really shit down Bowie’s hitters by keep the ball down in the zone. Tanner registered 13 ground outs and just 1 fly out.
Frederick 1, Lynchburg 3 – Box Score
- Xavier Avery went 0 for 2 with 2 walks. He was also caught stealing.
- Ronnie Welty went 2 for 4 with 2 strikeouts and an RBI.
- L.J. Hoes went 0 for 4.
- Billy Rowell went 0 for 4.
- Rick Zagone pitched 4 innings, allowing 4 hits and 2 runs (1 ER). He walked 3 batters and struck out 2.
- Oliver Drake came out of the bullpen and pitched 1 inning, allowing 1 hit and no runs.
Analysis: I really like the 2 BB’s from Avery, if he becomes more patient and has an improved approach, he’ll be able to take his game to the next level. I believe Drake came out of the pen because the rotation schedule got messed up with the rain out. I was hoping Billy Rowell would get off to a hot start, but he didn’t…
Delmarva 4, Greenville 2 – Box Score
- Jake Cowan pitched 4 innings, allowing 2 hits and 2 runs. He walked 5 batters and struck out 5.
- Michael Planeta went 1 for 4 with a run and a strikeout.
- Steve Bumbry went 2 for 4 with a run, 2 3B, an RBI and a strikeout.
- Garabez Rosa went 1 for 4 with a 2B and a strikeout.
- Michael Ohlman went 0 for 2 with a walk, an RBI and a strikeout.
Analysis: I should have noted Cowan in my sleeper post, he’s got really good stuff but usually has trouble controlling it, like he did today. You’ll see the Delmarva guys strikeout a lot, the ones who are taking a lot of walks are guys you should keep your eye on.
Game previews for tomorrow:
The Baysox will resume their game from today and their originally scheduled game will resume after, so there is no official time.
|Norfolk Tides||Durham Bulls||Home||7:15 PM||Alfredo Simon|
|Bowie Baysox||Richmond Flying Squirrels||Home||6:35 PM||Chorye Spoone|
|Frederick Keys||Lynchburg Hillcats||Away||6:05 PM||N/A|
|Delmarva Shorebirds||Greenville Drive||Away||7:00 PM||Matt Hobgood|
The Keys will play a second game after the 6:05 game to make up for the 4/8/10 rain out.